查看: 4678|回复: 21

怎麼這裡沒有muet英語討論區的

[复制链接]
发表于 29-3-2011 05:18 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
這裡的大大們可否幫我翻譯一下

Does Television Play a Positive or
                  Negative Role in the Modern Society?

Text
         Do the Advantages of Television Outweigh the Disadvantages?
    Television is now playing a very important part in our life. Buttelevision, like other things, has both advantages and disadvantages.Do the former outweigh the latter?

In the first place, television is not only a convenient source ofentertainment, but also a comparatively cheap one. For a family offour, for example, it is more convenient as well as cheaper to sitcomfortably at home, with almost unlimited entertainment available,than to go out in search of amusement elsewhere. They do not have topay for expensive seats at the theatre, the cinema, or the opera, onlyto discover, perhaps, that the show is disappointing.
All they have to do is press a button, and they can see plays,films, operas, and shows of every kind, not to mention politicaldiscussions and the latest exciting. football match. Some people,however, maintain that this is precisely where the danger lies. Thetelevision viewer takes no initiative. He makes no choice and exercisesno judgment. He is completely passive and has everything presented tohim without any effort on his part.

Television, it is often said, keeps one informed about currentevents, allows one to follow the latest developments in science andpolitics, and offers an endless series of programmes which are hothinstructive and entertaining. The most distant countries and thestrangest customs are brought right into one's stitting-room. It couldbe argued that the radio performs this service just as well; but ontelevision everything is much more living, much more real. Yet hereagain there is a danger. We get so used to looking at it, so dependenton its flickering pictures, that it begins to dominate our lives.

There are many other arguments for and against television. The poorquality of its programmes i.s often criticized. But it is undoubtedly agreat comfort to many lonely elderly people. And does it corrupt orinstruct our children? I think we must realize that television initself is neither good nor bad. It is the uses to which it is put thatdetermine its value to society.

II . Read
   Read the following passages. Underline the important viewpoir while reading.
1. Why Watch Television?
  Matthew: Television is undoubtedly a great invention, but one ofthe mainyou've  criticisms of it is that people just aren'tselectiveenough. I.esley,got a television; how do you pick out thesorts ofprogrammes you want to watch?
  Lesley: I t.ry and look at the prograxnmes that are on to decidewhichparticular ones interest me, rather than you turning it on aseveno'clock and you leaving it on until half-past eleven whentheprogrammes finish.
  Matthew: Do you think of television though as a great time-waster?
  Lesley: Un ...I think it can be a time-waster and it depends on howparticularpeople are about what they want to see...Mm, it can just be asort oftotal amusement for someone and totallve consuming withoutreallyconsidering what it is they're watching.
  Matthew: Aha, but how do you prevent it coming into your life andtaking overyour evenings and at the same time perhaps get . . . get outof thetelevision some of the sort of best things...best programmesthat...
  that undoubtedly are on television?
  Lesley: Well,I suppose one of the problems is ...will depend on whata person'slife style is, and that if he has other outsideinterestswhich are equally important to him as television, he willthen, youknow, mm . . . be more careful about which programmeshe wantsto watch because he has time which he wants to use forother things.
  Matthew: Do you think though that... that in . . . in a sensetelevision haskilled people's own er...sort of , creativity or theirabilityto entertain themselves because if they're bored all they do isjustturn on the television?
  Lesley: Yes, I think that is a danger, and I think that. .in fact iswhat ishappening to a lot of people who use it as their ... theirmain...umfield of amusement and ... because they don't have otheroutsideinterests and even when people come round they'll leave thetelevisionon and not be, you know, particularly interested in talkingto them,you Know the television will be the main thing in the room.
  Matthew: Peter, have you got a television?
  Peter: I have, in fact I've got two televisions.
  Matthew: Do you watch them a lot?
  Peter: Er ... no I...I watch very seldom er ... In fact, I find thatI watchtelevision most when I'm most busy, when I'm working hardest andIneed some sort of passive way of relaxing, something whichrequiresnothing of me, then I watch television a lot. When I've gotmore energyleft...um ...in my own private time, in my free time, then Ifind I domoredifferent things. I do things like um reading, or goingout, orworking on anything . . . my hobbies.
  Matthew: Do you think though that people can live a perfectly happy life ifthey haven't got a television?
  Peter: Oh yes, I think people who don't have a television or peoplewhoentertainment.don' t watch television can be expected to bemorehappy. You canassume I think if they never watch television theyarehappier people than the people who watch a lot of television,becauseI think that television goes with the kind of life whichleaves you withnothing tospare, nothing left, you have to be givenpotted, passiveentertainment.
  Matthew: Bot in that case you ...you seem as though you're completelyagainst television, is that true?
  Peter: No,it's not. I...I have a television in fact,I have two as Isaid, buter I ... I ...I think there's a dilemma, a difficult situation.
  Television in itself is very good; a . . . a lot of theinformationand a lot of the programmes are very instructive, theyintroduce youto things you may never have thought of before or neverhave heardabout before. But in watching, it makes you very passive; yousit forhour after hour and you get very receptive and veryunquestioning audit seems to me the important thing in life is to beactive, to . . . todo things, to think things and to be as creative aspossible, andtelevision prevents this.

感激感激不盡。。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 29-3-2011 05:18 PM | 显示全部楼层
2. Children and Television
    Housewife: What do I think of television? Um, um, well, um, it keeps the family at home, the kids don't go oot at night so much now, they come straight in from school most of them, they run in and straight, well the television's on when they come in, I watch it myself during the afternoon. Er, well it's company really and, er, well, then the kids come home, they eat their tea, I have no trouble with them eating their tea because they just ...

well, they don't even look at what they eat, they just sit down and, erm, they eat it and they like the programmes and, and it keeps them quiet while I' m cooking the tea for their dad when he comes home an hour later and tea is ready when the news is on when he comes in, and, er and the news is on or perhaps the football match or something, er, they have to be quiet then,they're not very interested in that themselves, they like the cartoons and things but, em, yeah, well, I think television's great, er, we get on much better in the house now, um, well, we've got things to talk about, erm, you know, if I miss a programme, er, if I' m cooking or something in the kitchen, I miss a bit of what's going on, I mean I have the door open so I can hear, but if I miss a bit then they will tell me, and then perhaps later or perhaps the next day we' ll have a chat about it, you know. It gives us something to talk about really. Um, I don't think it hurts the kids, I don't think it's a problem, you know, like, er, it stops them, makes their eyes go funny or something, I don't think it,s a problem like rhat. I don't think it's a problem at all. They've... they've learned a lot from television, I think, they're always piping up with questions and learning a lot from the television.

3. Television Is Doing IrreparabIe Harm
    "Yes, but what did we use to do before there was television?" How often we hear statements like thisl Television hasn't been with us all that long, but we are already beginning to forget what the world was like without it. Before we admitted the one-eyed monster into our homes, we never found it difficult to occi.spy our spare time.

We used to enjoy civilised pleasures. For instance, we used to have hobbies, we used to entertain our friends and be entertained by them, we used to go outside for our amusements to theatres, cinemas, restaurants and sporting events. We even used to read books and listen to music and broadcast talks occasionally. All that belongs to the past. Now all our free time is regulated by the `goggle box' . We rush hom.e or gulp down our meals to be in time for this or that programme.

We have even given up sitting at table and hading a leisurely evening meal, exchanging the news of the day. A sandwich and a glass of beer will do-anything, providing it doesn't interfere with the programme. The monster demands and obtains absolute silence and attention. If any member of the family dares to open his mouth during a programme, he is quickly silenced.

Whole generations are growing up addicted to the telly. Food is left uneaten, homework undone and sleep is lost. The telly is a universal pacifier. It is now standard practice for mother to keep the children quiet by putting them in the living-room and turning on the set. It doesn,t matter that the children will watch rubbishy commercials or spectacles of sadism and violence-so long as they are quiet.

There is a limit to the amount of creative talent available in the world. Every day, television consumes vast quantities of creative work. That is why most of the programmes are so bad: it is impossible to keep pace with the demand and maintain high standards as well. When millions watch the same programmes, the whole world becomes a village, and society is reduced to the conditions which obtain in pre -literate communities. We become utterly dependent on the two most primitive media of communication: pictures and the spoken word.

Television encourages passive enjoyment. We become content with second-hand experiences. It is so easy to sit in our armchairs watching others working. Little by little, television cuts us off from the real world. We get so lazy, we choose to spend a fine day in semi-darkness, glued to our sets, rather than go out into the world itself . Television may be a splendid medium of communication, but it prevents us from communicating with each other. We only become aware how totally irrelevant television is to real living when we spend a holiday by the sea or in the mountains, far away from civilization. In quiet, natural surroundings, we quickly discover how little we miss the hypnotic tyranny of King Telly.

4. Television Is Good for People
    TV may be a vital factor in holding a family together where there are, for example, economic problems and husband and wife seem at breaking point. The dangerous influence is surely no more than what all of us are exposed to every day. . . in advertising, in the press.

Primary and secondary education have improved out of all recognition
since the arrival of TV in the home and this is not only because of programmes designed for schools. Through TV a child can extend his knowledge and it provides vital food for his imagination.

5. Television Is to Blame
    TV passes on to children the corrupting values of a corrupt society.
It's only a matter of time before we can give statistical evidence'of how many criminals society has given birth to in front of the TV on Saturday night.
You can blame TV for the fact that children take longer to learn to read these days and barely see the point any more of acquiring the skill. In my opinion watching TV should be strictly confined to "treats".
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 29-3-2011 05:53 PM | 显示全部楼层
LZ真的以为有人会给你翻译全文?你还不如Google翻译吧。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 29-3-2011 07:04 PM | 显示全部楼层
哇,这么长!!!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 29-3-2011 07:05 PM | 显示全部楼层
LZ真的以为有人会给你翻译全文?你还不如Google翻译吧。
SleepingGod 发表于 29-3-2011 06:53 AM

google翻譯不明確,看到我一頭霧水。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 29-3-2011 07:06 PM | 显示全部楼层
哇,这么长!!!
onekm 发表于 29-3-2011 08:04 AM

大概意思也行,謝謝。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

Follow Us
 楼主| 发表于 29-3-2011 07:28 PM | 显示全部楼层
TRAVEL BOOKS

There are several ways you can find out aboiit the countries and places you wish to visit. You can talk to friends who have travelled to the places. Or you can go and see a colour film about them. Or you can read travel books.

It would seem that there are three kinds of travel books. The first are those that give a personal, subjective account of travels which the author has actually made himself. If they are informative and have a good index then they can be useful to you when you are planning your traves. The second kind are those books whose purpose is to give a purely objective description of things to be done and seen.

If a well-read, cultured person has written such a book then it is even more useful. It can be classified as a selective guide book. The third kind are those books which are called 'a guide' to some place or other. If they are good, they will, in addition to their factual information, give an analysis or an interpretation. Like the first kind they can be inspiring and entertaining. But their primary function is to assist the
reader who wishes to plan in the most practical way.

Whatever kind of travel book you choose you must make sure that it does not describe everything as 'marvellous' , 'fabulous' or 'magical' . You must also note its date of publication because travel is a very practical affair and many things change quickly in the twen tieth century. Finally, you should make sure that the contents are well presented and easy to find.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 29-3-2011 08:04 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 5# 燕琳

有一段一段翻译~
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 29-3-2011 09:03 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 8# juannatee

答案也是不明確,我不明白,除了Google還有什麼網可以查詢?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 29-3-2011 11:14 PM | 显示全部楼层
重赏之下必有勇夫
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 30-3-2011 11:37 AM | 显示全部楼层
楼主,我随便翻翻第一个TV的。。你自己看看就好。。可能会有错误的。。因为我真的是蛮简洁的。。(一句话懒惰了~)

TV的,问题=TV是好是坏? text好处多过坏处?
TV很重要,有好处也有坏处
TV方便娱乐也很便宜,家庭成员无需去娱乐场所也能享受一番。他们不需要付钱去看戏去玩,尤其是当看完戏后戏很烂。他们只需要在家一click就可以看戏看球赛看电影。 有的人认为这很危险因为看电视者没互动,不会选择,不会做主裁决事情,完全被动,无需劳动就能看戏了(电影院要走路所以会劳动= =)

TV能够随时更新所有状况(像打战,选举之类的),也能播放一系列的节目。从最远的国家,最奇怪的习俗,你都能一览而知。有人说radio也有这些功能,不过TV上的更显为真实。所以这里又造成了一个危机,当你习惯了TV,它就开始主宰你的生命。

有很多关于TV的真论,尤其是节目非常烂的画质,不过它也陪伴了很多孤单的老人。然而TV究竟是污染教坏我们的孩子还是指导他们成功,向善? 我认为TV本身不好也不坏,而是要看使用者的使用方式来决定它对社会的价值。。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 30-3-2011 05:04 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼主,我随便翻翻第一个TV的。。你自己看看就好。。可能会有错误的。。因为我真的是蛮简洁的。。(一句话懒 ...
Wysen 发表于 30-3-2011 12:37 AM

感激。。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 9-4-2011 10:33 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼主,你是从哪里知道会出TV program这题目的, 听我朋友说第三天时真的出了,我12号拜二才考......还有什么题目的可能性较高会出?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 10-4-2011 02:24 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼主为什么要人家帮你翻译? 自己读不久行吗?不会的字就去查字典咯
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 10-4-2011 05:30 PM | 显示全部楼层
不如考MUET的时候也上cari来找人帮忙翻译
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-4-2011 07:35 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼主为什么要人家帮你翻译? 自己读不久行吗?不会的字就去查字典咯
sunsilk_cv 发表于 10-4-2011 03:24 AM

就是英語差嘛,都不明白~~~怎麼這樣?
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 10-4-2011 07:53 PM | 显示全部楼层
不如考MUET的时候也上cari来找人帮忙翻译
~CK8790~ 发表于 10-4-2011 06:30 AM

你好像有諷刺和鄙視人的意思,小小年紀已經勢利眼,現在的社會就是這樣?
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-4-2011 07:54 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼主,你是从哪里知道会出TV program这题目的, 听我朋友说第三天时真的出了,我12号拜二才考......还有什么 ...
chuan_cheng 发表于 9-4-2011 11:33 AM

我不知道哦,剛巧而已。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 10-4-2011 08:40 PM | 显示全部楼层
你好像有諷刺和鄙視人的意思,小小年紀已經勢利眼,現在的社會就是這樣?
燕琳 发表于 10-4-2011 07:53 PM

我倒没有讽刺或鄙视您的意思..如果给你这样的感觉的话向你道歉不过我觉得如果要学英文或者是准备MUET,找人帮忙翻译不是正确之道..因为你考MUET不可能找人帮你翻译啊
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-4-2011 08:56 PM | 显示全部楼层
我找人翻譯是因為我不明白內容而不是為了考試。我讀了好多遍了就是不明白,讀不懂,自己翻字典上Google查詢了才明白點點意思。走投無路之下才決定在這裡問比較會英語的朋友們。不然你覺得我該如何學習呢?目前我有補習。回复 19# ~CK8790~
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

所属分类: 欢乐校园

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 29-3-2024 11:56 PM , Processed in 0.073308 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.