楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:26 PM | 显示全部楼层
启程前的TIPS

TIPS 7-- ADVICE FROM SENIOR

和各位学弟学妹分享
当年我也是从学长那收到这样的forward mail

记得要自己update因为这mail是N年前
所以有些东西可能不准且了

For those who are coming to the UK on this coming summer,

Hello and welcome, here are a summary of the basic stuff that you might find helpful for your summer course,  I will include some basic stuff you need to bring over and what you should not bring.

Essential documents
1. Passport
2. Valid driving license (make sure you renew your license before you come as Malaysia driving license can be use in the United Kingdom for a period of 1 year from the day you enter UK. Believe me, a road trip in the UK with your mates are very fun indeed.
3. Passport size photos
4. Bank draft and proof of financial evidence as the immigration requires you to show your proof of financial before allowing you to enter the UK.

For your studies:
1. Laptop (mouse, speaker, mic & webcam if needed)
2. Thumb drive or CD-R/W (MUST save a copy for all files every month/week)
3. Two pin plug (MUST!! UK don't have such thing... ) for laptop  and phone charger, rechargeable batteries... (u will have enough power point at hostel,extension cord not needed)
4. Beg, ALL stationeries & pencil case (expensive there!)
5. Digital dictionary (alternatively you can borrow dictionary from
    library)
6.External hardisk ( the connection over here is real good so some of you guys might do some serious downloading, your existing hardisk might not be able to store all the heavy downloads. Go get 1 external hardisk 160GB cost you less than RM400 and of course, this is optional.

For your health & living:
1. Basic medicine for flu, cold, cough, headache, gastric etc (veryimportant)
2. Basic first aid (e.g. yoko yoko...)
3. Nail cutter (here, it cost around 3 pounds = around RM20 each!!!)
4. Toothbrush (toothbrush around RM7+ each in UK)
5. Cotton & cotton buds
6. Some small tissue pack
7. Bath towel
8. Clothes hanger (just bring a few of it.)
9. Clothes brush (pre-paid washing machine is approx 2 pounds for washing and 1 pound for drying, you need to do the laundry once per week or if you can stand it, maybe once every 2 weeks, so you do the math yourself and yes, you can hardly find any brush over here.)
10. Slipper, socks
11. Shaver
12. Lingeries, bras, stocking, panty liners & pad (for gals)
13. Pepper spray or personal alarm (expensive there)
14. Very strong (folded) umbrella (strong winds + crazy weather in  UK!REMEMBER TO ASK FOR THE TOUGH ONE.)
15. Digital camera & rechargeable batteries (for ur sweet memories)
* for shower gel, toothpaste, shampoo & lotion, just bring one week supply or travel pack. Here, they have cheaper daily use products
(such as Tesco, they have their own brand of shampoo and shower  gel), it's really cheap!
* Sewing kit, can get a set from 1 pound shop, share with friends.
16. For those who cannot sleep without bolster, you can find those compressed bolster at IKEA that going to cost you approx rm50 so that you can put it in your luggage and bring it over or you can get a vacuum bag, put ur bolster inside and vacuum it and bring it over. Vacuum bag is very useful as it helps you to save up a lot of space. You can get it in Going Places(International student card holder has 20% discount for winter clothing) or WinterTime.

Food:

if you still have space for lugg):
1. Special seasoning or dried cooking paste (e.g. curry powder, bak kut teh,  and chili sauce, they dont have chili sauce over here)
2. Some special dried food (e.g. chinese mushroom)
3.Some instant noodles for the first few weeks when you are still not comfortable going out to eat and too lazy to cook proper meal.
4.Milo and some local coffee you like as those that are available here tastes a little different from what you usually drink.
*Dont bring biscuit or cookies as the cookies here are seriously 10 times better than Malaysia's cookies and its cheap too.
P/S: I am not sure about this, but please dont bring dried seafood over as I've been told that if you get caught, you going to receive severe penalty for the possesion of it. Ask you parents to send it over.
(Chinese grocery stores have almost everything but just a bit expensive, only
bring things which is special or hard to find - if you still have space for luggage)
* pls DON'T bring your own cutlery, frying pan, cup, mug, plate or
whatever, your student accommodation will provide every single one of you your own set.
* rice cooker? not advisable, we usually boil rice using the pot supplied by the halls and we are quite good at it. You can buy rice cooker here at reasonable price as well)

For partying / clubbing (although not encouraging, but i know u will ignore my advise...):
Not sure whether u wanna attend the freshman party or dinner
organise by ur uni, they normally organise it during the first
month of admission (u might wanna wear tie, coat, leather shoe,
high heels... or put on make up). For my year, they organize a summer beach party so those formal wears are not required.

Pls don’t clubbing too much, it’s  not safe to travel at nite!

Banking:
You are not required to open a HSBC account in Malaysia and transfer the money here, its quite troublesome. Just go and buy a bank draft and open an account over here. Usually, SHU will give you guys a bank letter for Natwest. The letter is required for you to open an account as a proof that you are a student over here. Usually they will distribute the letter during enrolment day.

Please go and book for bank appointment A.S.A.P or after you get your bank letter. The system in UK is all based on appointment and if you are late, you going to wait for ages to set up your account. For Natwest, they will give you a debit card(Solo), credit card and cheque book which is rather useful for online purchasing.

Read the terms and condition properly and DONT SIMPLY SET UP DIRECT DEBIT WITHOUT PUTTING MONEY IN YOUR STEP ACCOUNT, YOU WILL BE CHARGE 60 POUNDS FOR IT AND DONT DO LATE PAYMENT FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD, I HAS BEEN CHARGED 160 POUNDS FOR LATE PAYMENT AND HANDLING FEES, DAMN IT!)

For telecommunication:
It's not easy to get a post-paid mobile phone connection as you need a good credit score (i.e, debit card balance) to sign for free phone and contract, so its not advisable to sign up for a phone.  You can use ur malaysia mobile and get a pre-paid (there: pay-as-you-go) sim pack from any mobile shop to
kick off your UK "miserable" mobile phone experience. Welcome to the real world.

BY 水云间 2009

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 13-5-2009 09:08 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:27 PM | 显示全部楼层
启程前的TIPS

TIPS 7-- ADVICE FROM SENIOR (Cont')

Trip:
Please dont simply sign up for trips as some of it are really not worthy. Some seniors might try to convince you guys desperately but you can always do some research on your own and ask for second opinion before commiting yourself. Try to have some road trip ( For example, Scotland and Liverpool) it is an experince of a lifetime and it is fun, trust me). You are grown ups now and you dont need to be spoon fed right?

ADDITIONAL INFO FOR UK STUDENTS' LIFE:
Map
u can find any destination in UK by just type in the UK postcode!
try to search for LJMU or SHU, for example, Charlotte Court postcode is S24EQ), even look for places in europe
when u travel. (now also available for Malaysia! Yeah!) from this
web: www.multimap.com, map.google.co.uk

Transportation

Rail
www.nationalrail.co.uk (consists of all rail network in uk, except megatrain)
http://www.trainline.co.uk/ (consist osf all rail network in uk, except megatrain)

Individual train companies:
www.megatrain.co.uk (just 1 pound if book earlier!!!!!)
www.virgintrains.co.uk
www.silverlink-trains.com
www.gner.co.uk
http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/
www.northernrail.org
www.midlandmainline.co.uk
www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

* all linked with each other, sometimes have promotional price, usually 4 travel together can get discounted rate,check it frequently for any special deal
* alternatively, log on to http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/, if u stay for more than a year there, check this out see whether it's worth apply for student railcard...

Coach
www.megabus.co.uk (only 1 pound if book earlier!!!)
www.nationalexpress.co.uk (always have FUNFAIR for 1 pound only, check it out!)
*and some intercity coach info available in all local tourist info center.

Budget airlines
www.skyscanner.net (one stop website for all budget airlines in uk!)
www.ryainair.co.uk
www.easyjet.co.uk
www.bmibaby.co.uk / www.flybmi.co.uk

Transportation to airport
www.nationalexpress.so.uk
www.easybus.co.uk
www.greenline.co.uk
www.transsvision.co.uk

PLEASE  GO TO KLIA EARLIER:
- check in earlier to get a better seat / to sit with ur friends (or else talk to yourself for more then 13hrs!!!)
-Dont bring overweight luggage as some of the staff of certain airlines(etihad & emirates) is bitch as they wont allow even 32 kgs for check in and going to charge you for it.

* remember to keep all important document in hand luggage and label
ur big luggage (ur name, uni name & UK address, contact number) and
lock it when aboard. Keep your uni add & contact number handy (for
emergency).

one last thing, pls double confirm with ur senior, i might be lacking some important information bout LJMU, find out more about their
experience in Liverpool (coz i never stay in Liverpool before and I only went there for road trip, i
was with SHU in Sheffield and I am still in SHU for Master Degree)... all above mentioned
matters are just a guide for u, u should work harder to make it
perfect

*This copy is edited from the one I received previously from Ms.Lim so credits goes to her. All the comments are made from a neutral perception as I dont get any credits from the seniors. You can always ask for second opinion.

Anyhow, have a safe journey,

By 水云间 2009

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 13-5-2009 09:09 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:28 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

谢谢各版主通融。。。建楼完毕。。。。这帖将暂时放空以备不时之需。。。。陆续会有更多照片。。。。尽情期待。。。。

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:33 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:33 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

Follow Us
 楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:29 PM | 显示全部楼层

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:34 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:29 PM | 显示全部楼层

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:34 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:30 PM | 显示全部楼层

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:35 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:30 PM | 显示全部楼层

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 28-6-2008 09:36 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 10-6-2008 09:31 PM | 显示全部楼层
SHU和LJMU新楼终于建成。。。。。
先要谢谢Cheaplamb和海洋Rachel在Sheffield和Liverpool各自照顾我楼的学弟学妹们。。。。
也要谢谢这次建楼的最大功臣Xiaowakka。。。在建楼时帮了很多很多的忙。。。。
除了这些长老级人物。。。
也要谢谢以下会员所提供及分享的照片与资料。。。
1。Cheaplamb
2。海洋Rachel
3。Xiaowakka
4。Lee9339
5。Cray
6。洋葱头
7。Edmond
8。霹雳小马
9。Ayumiboa
10。渊零
11。Coolim
12。rEboN12
13。Cheeming
14。Akane
15。城市里的尘埃
16。 水云间

Note: 各位大大,不好意思,是我叫版主删贴的。。。。希望各位不介意。。。。
也希望各位大大在我开楼前不要发表。。。谢谢。。。。(可能我是完美主义者,开楼前有发表有点不自在)
小弟感激各位的合作

[ 本帖最后由 nightkids_tai 于 4-7-2008 08:48 AM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 3-7-2008 10:44 PM | 显示全部楼层
旧楼网址http://chinese3.cari.com.my/myforum/viewthread.php?tid=939978&extra=page%3D1&page=100

开楼大吉。。。。
欢迎进来分享。。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 3-7-2008 10:45 PM | 显示全部楼层
我第一个

终于搬家了~ 一年的时间好快啊~ 这次我做第一个报道的

谢谢国王,谢谢皇后帮我沙发

[fly]恭喜新家开门大吉[/fly]

[ 本帖最后由 xiaowakka1 于 3-7-2008 11:38 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 3-7-2008 10:49 PM | 显示全部楼层
恭喜新楼开张。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 3-7-2008 11:05 PM | 显示全部楼层
恭喜。。。 果然已经是摩天大楼了。。。 哈哈。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 4-7-2008 12:17 AM | 显示全部楼层
恭喜恭喜!~~~ 预祝新楼建高高
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

发表于 4-7-2008 01:14 AM | 显示全部楼层
恭喜新楼开张
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 4-7-2008 02:07 AM | 显示全部楼层
恭喜恭喜,这楼真的很美好,很伟观,很强大~~
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 4-7-2008 02:48 AM | 显示全部楼层
会员名单少了我
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 4-7-2008 07:16 AM | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 水云间 于 4-7-2008 02:48 AM 发表
会员名单少了我
国王你忘记把旧家会员名单更新过来了

国王。。。倒数一天哦!

今晚大家准时上限哦!

[ 本帖最后由 xiaowakka1 于 4-7-2008 08:46 AM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 29-3-2024 01:29 PM , Processed in 0.066075 second(s), 18 queries , Gzip On.